AABP Home Page  

AABP Foundation Grant

Request for Proposals

The American Association of Bovine Practitioners Foundation announces the call for proposals for research grants for funding in 2024. Each grant will be funded for up to $25,000 and the AABP Foundation will fund up to two grants for 2024.Proposals may address clinically relevant research topics in beef cattle, dairy cattle or both and can include topics such as disease treatment or prevention, production medicine, or cattle welfare.

Each proposal should include the title, a one-page description of the proposed study, a detailed experimental protocol (no more than two pages, which includes the contributions of each investigator), a budget (including justification for all expenses), and a list of the investigators with a brief (2 page maximum per investigator) biographical sketch of each investigator. Salary replacement for faculty members, post-docs or graduate students, indirect costs, or scientific equipment will not be supported.


At least one of the investigators must be an AABP member. Proposals will be ranked by the Board of the AABP Foundation for bovine practice relevance. Top ranking proposals will then be reviewed by experts in the area of study and following review, the AABP Foundation Board will select the projects to fund. Projects likely to be funded by corporate or industry sponsors are not likely to be prioritized. In judging between proposals of similar merit, preference will be given to proposals from researchers who are starting their careers or from private practitioners and proposals for which AABP Foundation funds can serve as seed money to attract other grants.


Upon selection, the AABP Foundation will release 80% of the project funds. The remaining 20% of funds will be released after the following has been satisfied:

      1. Project has been completed.
      2. Results of the project are presented at an AABP annual conference.
      3. Submission of the results for publication in a peer reviewed journal. Investigators are encouraged to submit their results for publication in the AABP Bovine Practitioner.



 Proposals must be received by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, December 29, 2023. Proposals MUST be submitted online. Questions may be addressed to the AABP Office at fred@aabp.org. 

Dr. Gabe Middleton
Chair, AABP Foundation

Applicants must:

  1. Download a template Competitive Research Word Document, and complete and save as PDF document. Name the PDF document yourname.PDF (ex. JohnSmith.PDF).
    The proposal shall include:
    • Title
    • Description of the Proposed Study (Maximum of one page)
    • Detailed Experimental Protocol (No more than two pages, which includes the contributions of each investigator)
    • Budget (Including justification for all expenses)
    • List of Investigators (Provide a brief (maximum of 2 pages) biographical sketch for each investigator)
  2. Complete the online application form. You will upload the PDF file within the application form.
  3. Evaluation criteria and scoring system.
  4. Notification: Candidates will be notified of the Committee's decision by July 31.
Copyright © 2023 American Association of Bovine Practitioners - All Rights Reserved.